The mission and purpose of STARS is to
- eliminate the unnecessary euthanasia of healthy, adoptable pets through an aggressive rescue policy and adoption program;
- to institute an education program that teaches responsibilities of pet ownership; to elicit empathy and compassion for defenseless animals;
- to increase the awareness of the devastation of pet overpopulation and abandonment of defenseless animals;
- to strive for strict spay/neuter legislation; to work with law enforcement agencies in the prosecution to the fullest extent of the law persons found guilty of inhumane treatment and/or cruelty to any animal;
- to aggressively work toward stiffer penalties for inhumane treatment, negligent treatment, or cruelty to animals;
- to provide to the citizens of our area a safe, reliable, managed by local veterinarians, low-cost spay/neuter and vaccination programs;
- and to help relieve stress and loneliness to some of our elderly citizens in assisted living or nursing home environments by offering companionship visits with our animals for emotional therapy.